Sunday, September 20, 2009

860 miles...

Away from home.

That is about how many miles are now put between our little family and the rest of our family and friends.

For at least two years.

I wanted to start this blog to chronicle our journey and to share with our friends and family back home stories, pictures, and basically our well being.  So, seeing as it has been our first week here, it has been...well....

Hard.

It's not easy moving hundreds of miles away from a place you've only known as home.  I should know this better than anyone.  Ya see, I was one of those people that actually lived in only one house for twenty-three years before I got married.  I was born at the hospital, brought home and, well, stayed there.  Yes, eventually I moved out obviously--first to a home three minutes away and then a couple of years later to a home fifteen minutes away. 

And now to a home about fourteen hours away.

It's hard.

I hope that it will get easier.

It's odd that when before we left I felt like I was in some sort of denial mode--I really couldn't think about being so far away and when people asked me about it I told them the truth--"I don't think it has sunk in yet."

Well, it's starting to sink in.

It starting to sink in that I can't just hop in my car and drive to see my grandma and be there in twenty minutes.  Or my niece and nephew.  Or the same for anyone else important in our lives. 

So, it's gonna be hard.

But rather than making this whole entry full of sadness and despair, I'm gonna try and turn it around.

I know it's going to be okay.

I know it's going to be okay because we have wonderful people in our life.  We have wonderful friends and family that went out of their way to show us love and support when we left and will continue to show us love and support from fourteen hours away.  If you're reading this, you all know who you are.  You may have helped me through an upsetting phone call this week, or sent me a nice email, or made me laugh. 

And that is how I know it is going to be okay.

Because when you have people like that in your life they come through for you.

Even if it's fourteen hours away.

IMG_0819 copy

IMG_1136 copy

IMG_0770 copy

IMG_1868 copy

IMG_0778 copy

IMG_0879 copy

IMG_1064 copy

IMG_1209 copy

These pics couldn't possibly cover everyone....just a few to share!

3 comments:

  1. this is the same reason i started a blog. I grew up moving a lot, but my husband always lived in the same house too. it was hard on him when we first moved to italy. but now, we love loving away... even though i am moving back this week lol. it will be nice to have a blog where your family can see the twins grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is an adjustment, but AR isn't so bad. Of course I'm born and raised so I guess I'm sort of partial.

    Hope to visit with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWW Rach...we miss you so much already!

    love ya,
    Al

    ReplyDelete